It is no secret that I love making (and eating) Sugar Cookie Cutouts. It is also no secret that I love chocolate (I mean really, what girl doesn’t?)
So when I first had one of these chocolate sugar cookies,I thought that I had died and gone to heaven! Not only was the thought of a chocolate sugar cookie exciting and new, but the best part was, my husband made them for me! That’s right, I didn’t even have to make them myself, and we all know that things taste better when they are made with love by someone else!
I was having a bad day, so to cheer me up, he made me these cookies. Not only are they cookies, not only are they chocolate, and not only did he make them for me, but to top it all off, he made them in my absolute favorite shape using our Mickey Mouse cookie cutter (there’s just something about Mickey Shaped Foods that I love, I can’t help it).
He pretty much wins the best husband ever award for this one
Oh, and yeah, they were delicious too. We will definitely be making these again (I am thinking possible cookie sandwiches with various frosting fillings…hmm….)
Best Ever Chocolate Cutout Cookies (Recipe courtesy of allrecipes.com)
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup butter, softened
• 1 1/4 cups white sugar
• 1 egg
1. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg. Gradually stir in the sifted ingredients to form a soft dough. Divide dough into 2 pieces, flatten and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8 inch in thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Dough is sticky so be sure to add more flour to the rolling surface as needed. Place cookies 1 1/2 inches apart onto cookie sheets.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.