Ok, so we know I love Funfetti cookies, which are basically a cake mix turned cookie, so when I finally tried red velvet cake on a cruise we took last summer, I got to thinking that it would make a delicious cookie as well…
So I got myself a box of Red Velvet cake mix (incidentally, my grocery store only had one kind, the Duncan Hines mix, which worked well!), and set out to make some cookies…
1 box Duncan Hines Red Velvet cake mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Powdered sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine one (1) box of Duncan Hines Red Velvet cake mix, two (2) eggs and one-third (1/3) cup vegetable oil using a hand blender or wire whisk.
3. Form teaspoon size balls and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet or baking pan about one inch (1″) apart. Sligtly pat down the top of each ball.
4. Cook for 8-10 minutes (the top of the cookie will crack).
5. While hot, lightly sprinkle the top of the cookie with powdered sugar (optional)
As you can see, I didn’t bother with the powdered sugar, mostly because I knew I was going to turn it into a cookie sandwich with a delicious cream cheese frosting in the middle.
For my cream cheese frosting, I kept it *really* simple, I mixed about 1/2 cup cream cheese, 2 cups powdered sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla together until it was spreadable, then I smeared it on the cookies and man was it good!
The cookies were also good non-sandwiched with no frosting, and as I was munching on these, I realized, you can really apply the Funfetti cookie/Red Velvet cookie recipe to any boxed cake mix….chocolate, lemon, vanilla, whatever you want. Cake cookies are seriously delicious, and they are seriously easy to make so I suggest you get in the kitchen and whip some up, you’ll be glad you did!