I stumbled across these adorable Minion Cupcakes modeled after the movie Despicable Me, and I knew I just had to make them for one of my best friends for her birthday.
Minion Cupcakes (Courtesy of Plucky Momo)
- pre-baked cupcakes, cooled
- one Twinkie for each two cupcakes you’ll be making
- one can regular vanilla frosting
- piping bag and round piping tip
- 10-15 packages of Smarties candy (white seperated and set aside)
- black food coloring paste
- one container dark brown Jimmies
- Cut each Twinkie into two equal pieces.
- Spread white frosting onto each cupcake.
- Split remaining frosting into 2 separate bowls.
- Tinted one batch black and another light grey.
- Pipe a black line 1 inch from the rounded top of the Twinkie. This becomes the goggle straps.
- Stick on the two white Smarties while the black frosting line is still wet.
- Use the same black frosting to make pupils on two white Smarties.
- Add the mouth with the same black frosting.
- Use the lighter grey icing to pipe a thin line around the goggle edges
- Stick a few dark brown jimmies in the top for the hair.
Notes: I used funfetti cake mix for the cupcakes, and a simple Crisco frosting (4 cups powdered sugar, 1 cup Crisco, some vanilla, some milk, and voila! Delicious frosting)
-I didn’t bother with black and gray frostings, just used all black for the goggles/straps
-The Jimmies were a joke – WAY too small to use as hair, but luckily I had anticipated this issue and purchased some coils of black rope licorice from my grocery store’s bulk section – cut those into small pieces and they made for some really cute hairdos!
-I used cut up straw pieces in the center of each cupcake so the minion wouldn’t fall over and this worked out really well
The result was adorable, amazing, and best of all – delicious!
I would like to give a shout out to my husband who actually made the Minion portion of this dessert – he is much more patient and creative than me and made some pretty darn cute looking Minions (including ones who are flirting with each other and blushing, and my personal favorite – the bucktoothed minion!). So thanks to him these turned out super adorable!